McIntyre (nee Taylor), Shirley J. (1927-
See Oral History Files, Fonds 18, Series 3, Subseries 8
When Shirley McIntyre retired from nursing at the age of 74, she was the oldest working OR nurse in BC, perhaps in Canada, having spent her last twelve years at the Gulf Islands Lady Minto Hospital. She had graduated from the Toronto Western Hospital Training School in 1950, and in 1977 completed her BSc at the University of Toronto.
She describes six months in mission hospitals in India with her surgeon husband, and learning new techniques in laparoscopic surgery and endoscopy at Lady Minto Hospital as among the highlights in her career. After divorce from her husband in 1979, she worked at two full time positions to raise and educate her five children.
Contents of Biographical File
- Biographical Information Profile
- Letters from Ethel Warbinek May 16, July 3, 2002.
- One page handwritten notes
- “Shirley McIntyre retires . . . sort of”, Gulf Islands Driftwood, November 14, 2001.
- Two photographs with covering letter.