Slaughter, Dorothy (nee Tate) (1911-1993)
- See Dorothy Slaughter Fonds 8
- See Oral History files, Fonds 18, Series 3, Subseries 8. Audiocassette tape available AU- 0016.
Dorothy Emeline Tate graduated from the Vancouver General Hospital School of Nursing in 1932, and received her nursing degree from the University of British Columbia in 1933. The following year she gained experience in tuberculosis nursing at the Vancouver General Hospital and at a tuberculosis clinic. In 1943, she obtained a Master’s degree in Public Health Administration from Columbia University.
In 1944 she was appointed Director of Public Health Nursing, and worked to implement a uniform salary schedule for all provincial health nurses, a standard uniform for staff, policy manuals of approved written procedures, and a simplified record system. Her tuberculosis manual, the first major manual of its kind, was followed by an information kit with an up-to-date guide on venereal diseases.
Her marriage in 1948 to Walter Slaughter led to her move to Saudi Arabia for four years. Upon her return to Vancouver, Dorothy returned to a staff position at the Boundary Health Unit, Surrey. She was active in the RNABC, serving as chair of a committee struck to develop a booklet on the Association. She co-chaired the RNABC Committee on Public Relations from 1958-1961, and chaired this committee from 1962-63. After her retirement, she remained active in many community groups.
Contents of Biographical File
- Biographical release form
- Biographical referral form
- Biographical Information Profile
- Shelley Nicholl, “Scholarship Leads to UWC Devotion”, Surrey News Leader, November 9, 1986, p. A19. Also published in The Peace Arch News as, “Area UWC a Real Going Concern”, November 12, 1986, pp. A22, ?.
- Frank Bucholtz, “Foundation Wants to Help.”
- “Nurse Honored by Staff”.
- Nomination for RNABC Memorial Book.
- Biography entered in RNABC Memorial Book.
- Letter from niece Dorothy Meyerof to Helen Niskala, March 10, 1996.
- Letter from Ethel Warbinek to Dorothy Meyerof, March 22, 1996.
- Monica M. Green, “Through the Years with Public Nursing”, The Canadian Public Health Association, 1984. Includes references to Slaughter.
- Graduation photograph, 1933. On CD.
- Transcript of oral history interview April 4, 1988.